Sunday, September 14, 2008

Transition of the Seasons


I hear that kids have been back in school for two weeks now. This is just one indicator that an end of a season is nearing its final end. If there is any way in which I will truly feel the loss of the summer, it will be through the lack of some of my favorite fruits and vegetables until next year. I will miss summer's berries, tomatoes, squashes and much more. The consolation, however, is that there is new tantalizing bounty to replace it. After all folks, Thanks Giving is in November. While we say good bye to the airy and tart offerings of the summer, please remember all that the fall offers: cobblers, soups, roasts, casseroles--all filled with bright healthy fruits and vegetables that are packed with nutrients and dense, rich consistencies. This season is all about yams, parsnips, potatoes, and other tubers.

As of late I've been obsessed with a Chinese pumpkin soup with seaweed. It comes in little green packets and is the kind of thing you pour water into and stir. Nonetheless, when I stir it up and put it in my mouth its like magic, hearty, yummy, probably laced with MSG, which yes I like...at least the taste of. This soup inspired me to consider investing in a slow cooker. I imagine if instant pumpkin soup is so rad, then homemade with fresh seasonings and vegetables and maybe a splash of juice--sans the MSG--would be stellar!

What follows is an ideas of what I'd throw in my, as of yet, still un-purchased pressure cooker:

Petu's Pumpkin Delight

Pumpkin, gutted, outer part removed, cut into makeshift portions of about two inches each.
One shallot slivered
Ground toasted cumin seeds, a teaspoon
Salt
Cup of water
1/2 cup of OJ

Okay, here's my disclaimer....I just made that up. The proportions may not even work. My intuition says it's going to be rad, real rad, especially if you finish it with a dollop of a high quality tangy yogurt and some chopped cilantro.  I'll write a follow up after trying this out, I promise!

Happy experimenting and buen provecho.

No comments: