Monday, November 29, 2010

Usurper of Hominy

Picture source: Wikipedia


I am making a hominy pork stew tonight. The only problem is that I could not find hominy in the supermarket yesterday. Instead I am going to use two parts creamed corn and one part cannellini beans I had previously frozen from a sausage and white bean stew I did last month. I am hoping that the young creamy corn will provide the flavor and the earthy, starchy beans will contribute texture. They should also contribute flavor. I believe the beans will be like a supporting player, working also as a stock. Both the corn and beans combined should mimmick what the hominy, a dry corn, would have brought to the stew. What I am really making, then is a savory corn and bean porridge with pork. I'll let you know how it goes and keep searching for the hominy. If anyone knows were I can get it do tell.

No comments: