Tuesday, January 13, 2009

When in Greenpoint, visit this imp's sweet spot: Peter Pan Donut and Pastry Shop


With so many bakeries in Greenpoint, I wanted to know which bakery was worth going to. My friend, who lives in the neighborhood, told me to go to Peter Pan Bakery. He said they have great dounuts and looked at me as if I should be impressed. I nodded ambivalently and mumbled something about checking it out.

The day I had wanted to go with my parents, my plans fell through. A few weekends ago, however, I had the great fortune to go into the little storefront bakery with my sister by chance. I was instantly charmed. The decor is very old school. It screams establishment, in the good way, of course. I ordered a coffee with milk and sugar and a powdered jelly donut. A teenage girl in a retro coffee shop uniform gave it to me. My sister and I went and sat down at the undulating counter and I took a bite of a light powedery and perfectly sweet donut, then chased it with my coffee. I felt like I was inside of a weightless soapy bubble blown out by a child in the park: totally timeless, totally at peace, totally content.

I don't know that every trip to Peter Pan's Bakery will be as enchanting, but I'm convinced that its name could not be more apt.


Peter Pan Donut and Pastry Shop
727 Manhattan Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11211
(718) 389-3676

No comments: