Friday, January 7, 2011

T.G.I.F

Hey all! We made it through the week. How awesome is that? How awesome are we?

It was a big week for firsts. First week of the year. First full week of work. First time for many things I'm sure; like getting back on the work out wagon and the eating healthy wagon or whatever wagon you have resolved to sit tight on.

For any takers out there I'd like to offer some advice for staying healthy and enjoying the year ahead. The first thing I would say is don't be a slave to recipes. They are just guidelines. Follow your gut. If you're trying to shed a few pounds and like to eat rich food, don't deprive yourself! Make a big salad and eat a smaller portion of the richer food. I made risotto this week and only used two tablespoons of butter instead of the four the recipe called for and you know what? It was delicious.

I would also say, eat your vegetables when you can. Don't be afraid to serve some left over vegetables at breakfast, especially for brunch. My favorite thing is eggs over easy on top of an arugala salad. You can even throw vegtables into a scramble. Also, like I mentioned in my last few posts, you can add vegetables to pancakes and you can steam them up and eat them like hot cereal.

Lunch is a good time to get to the veggies too. Don't forget that beans are a great substitute for meat in sandwiches. Make a home made spread like hummus or a black bean one with a good kick of flavor. If you'r buying lunch skip the chips and get a side salad instead. You can also incorporate vegetables into your tuna or chicken salad.

Lastly, I would like you to remember that cookbooks are in your home to be used, not admired. Get in there and try something challenging. It's ok if you get a page or two a little dirty. And it's true you might not always succeed at what you're making, but I bet even then, you'll have a good story to tell. My point is have fun, get your hands dirty and don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone.

So that's it for my two cents. Enjoy the weekend. I leave you with the ever-wonderful David Bazan.

2 comments:

Maybz said...

I feel like this post was for me!

Anyway, I think hiding veggies in eggs is a super-good way to get them in. I also take a baggie of cut veg or fruit n take it to work. When I'm hungry I make myself eat that instead of all the garbage laying around.

Unknown said...

Do you like the veggies you bring? I ask b/c you say 'i make myself'.